Saturday, March 19, 2016

Strangers in My Car

Today in my neighborhood, I was driving down the road and noticed a man with a cane looking at his watch, then looking down the road. 

 He was obviously waiting for the bus but the bus wasn't in sight and I watched him decide to walk --- he was clearly in a hurry and afraid to be late. So I pulled over and asked him if he needed a ride. He spoke little English but pointed down the road the way I was going so I loaded him up and off we went. His name was Antoine and he was from Burundi. We talked as much as we could and I understood him to say that he has been here for 7 yrs and is starting to take English conversation classes on Vista. By pointing the way, I got him to his appointment and he was very grateful. This is the second time in a month that I've had strangers from Africa in my car. The other time was a family from Uganda, a beautiful family I might add, and they were also very grateful for the ride. 

I'm doing my part to make America kind again and I'm taking notes for the book that I worked on for six years so long ago. I think I'll bring it out, dust it off and begin again. There's always room for one more book about kindness, don't you think? The file is in the shed ... And so it begins again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post and for taking the time to comment. I hope that you are sharing your kindness experiences and how you have been inspired or are inspiring others. For the time being, I am allowing all comments without censure, trusting that the energy of kindness will prevail for all.